Acts 1:3 NIVAfter his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.
Jesus appeared to his disciples on several occasions over a period of forty days, but how many times to be exact?
Technically speaking we could not know exactly how many times Jesus appeared, as not all events are recorded in the bible (John 20:30). However, the Gospels do record several of them. In all, Jesus is recorded as appearing 12 times to his disciples in his resurrected body.
2. Then he appeared to other women, possibly Mary of Clopas, Mary the mother of James and Joanna (Matt. 28:8-10).
5. Appeared to the ten disciples on the evening of that first day of the week, when Thomas was not there (John 20:19-25).
7. Appeared to the seven disciples by the Sea of Galilee (John 21:1-22).
8. Appearing to the Eleven Apostles on a certain mountain in Galilee (Legend says it is Mount Tabor) (Matt. 28:16-20).
9. When he ascended to heaven, he appeared to the disciples on the Mount of Olives, and interpreters have different opinions on this appearance. Some people think that it was only to the eleven apostles, but most think that it appeared to one hundred and twenty people, because after the ascension of the Lord, they returned to Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives and prayed on the “Upper Room”. Luke records that their number was one hundred and twenty people (Acts 1:12-15). But some people think that Paul said that the Lord appeared to five hundred people at the time of ascension (1 Corinthians 15:6; Luke 24:50-53).
Jesus also appeared to his disciples two times after the Ascension.