“He was the one who prayed to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!’ And God granted him his request.”1 Chronicles 4:10 (NIV)
“Go big or go home,” is a favorite saying in our culture today. Buy the flashiest car or the fanciest house, anything that shows our success to the world. If we don’t live life large, then we are not living our best life. The world calls us to be bold in our pursuit of riches. But does living for the world lead to happiness and contentment?
Owning stuff appears to lead to happiness when you watch the wealthy. But, often, those same rich people regret many things as they lay on their deathbeds. Few wish they had more money or more stuff. Even Christians experience regret as they prepare to go home. One nurse revealed the top five regrets in Christian life:
- A wish to be myself instead of trying to blend in with the crowd.
- Had not allowed fear dictating my decisions.
- Made my Faith a bigger priority.
- Had been a better spouse, parent, or friend.
- They wish they hadn’t wasted so much time on things that did not make an eternal difference.
A bold pursuit of worldly things does not lead to the ending many expect. So don’t get to the end of life before discovering the joy that comes from living a bold life for Christ.
Jabez wanted to live a bold life too, but he wanted his life to be bold for God. He prayed the most daring prayer found in the Bible. The amazing part is that God granted these things to Jabez because his heart was in the right place. Although we know little more about the man, we know God honored his wish.
Bible Verses to Help Our Bold Faith
So what can we do to live out a bold faith? We can start by offering the same prayer as Jabez. Then we can work to stop any future regrets from forming. Let’s look at some ways to do this:
- Live the life God called us to live. We don’t need to blend in because we have a higher purpose. “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10 (NIV).
- Fear is addressed throughout the Old and New Testament. We to turn to God for help with all our decisions. “This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (NIV).
- To be bold, we must make our faith a priority. We might let our weaknesses stop us from trying new things, but God is the source of our strength. “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV).
- God calls us to base all our relationships on love. And Christ set the example for the way to let our love shine through. “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” Proverbs 17:17 (NIV).
- We live in the world, but we should live with our eyes fixed on our final destination: heaven. “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal.” Matthew 6:19-20 (NIV).
Making Our Faith Bold
I want a bold faith like Jabez. My purpose is not a selfish one. I want to expand my territory and win others for Christ. The way I now envision the worldly saying is, “Go big for God and go home to heaven.”
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the example of living a life with boldness for you. Thank you for showing us the example of praying with boldness. Please help me follow hard after you and ignore the call of the world. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
What can you do differently to be bold for Christ?
Grace and Peace to you,
Do you need prayer? I would love to pray for you. Submit your prayer request on my website at https://yvonne-morgan.com/submit-your-prayer-request-here/
Yvonne M. Morgan is a Christian #author, #blogger, and #speaker. #BibleGatewayPartner
Matthew 28:19 “Therefore, GO and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”
Republished with permission from Blogs.crossmap.com, featuring inspiring Bible verses about Bold Faith.